Who are we?
The International Foundation for Ecosystem Restoration (FIRE) is a NGO that was born in 2006. We work for ecosystem restoration and conservation, transferring scientific knowledge to operative projects with high social efficiency. For further information, please visit our web page: http://www.fundacionfire.org/
New farming is possible
Agriculture is essential for the human being, but at the same time, it is the main driver of it is the main driver of negative anthropogenic impacts on the Planet. Moreover, farmlands occupy almost 40% of the Earth’s surface. Thus, we need to find solutions to reduce the negative impact of agriculture on the environment (e.g. contamination, erosion or biodiversity loss), in order to achieve agriculture sustainability.
Conciliating agricultural production with biodiversity and ecosystem services is an essential challenge for humanity.
Strategic agroecological restoration can help to achieve this goal, through improving biodiversity and ecosystem services in farmlands without competing for land use. Some of the actions that can be carried out are: planting native species hedgerows, creating temporary ponds or placing nest-boxes.
Objectives of “Fields of Life” / What do we want to achieve?
The main objective of the Fields for Life project is to transform the current agricultural fields into more sustainable ones, by using strategic ecological restoration actions based on scientific and technical knowledge, and also by transmitting this knowledge and involving farmers and society as a whole. The latter is also achieved by using tools such as Land Stewardship.
Specific objectives are:
- To enhance biodiversity and connect wild flora and fauna populations in farmlands.
- To enhance farming ecosystem services in general, and the quality and amount of harvests, in particular.
- To train farmers and young graduates in order to execute the proposed techniques.
- To contribute to environmental awareness and education in rural areas.
- To provide an added value to farms where actions are carried out.
- To provide projects which can be imitated in other farms.
- To promote land stewardship as an effective tool for conservation and ecological restoration in Spain.
- To inspire and promote civic ecology initiatives in rural areas.
Thanks to you and Lilo we will be able to…
FIRE has been developing the Fields for Life project since 2008. With your help we will be able to:
- Implement new actions and sign new land stewardship agreements in order to transform fields into Fields for Life. How? By planting hedgerows, creating ponds for wildlife, building shelters for wildlife, installing bird’s nest-boxes and placing poles for raptors, among other actions.
- We will be able to support and evaluate the actions that have been carried out in the existing Fields for Life: replacing dead plants, watering plants, tracking wildlife which uses ponds and shelters and cleaning bird’s nest-boxes, among other actions.
Lien du site: http://www.fundacionfire.org
Ce projet n'a pas encore publié d'actus.
|Date||Amount excl tx|